Saturday, January 16, 2010

Tylenol has a headache







Once again, the Tylenol company has a big problem. Do you remember way back when a man was putting poison in a bottle, just to harm one person? All Tylenol products were pulled from all shelves, and that my friend was the birth of "SECURITY PACKAGING". Now, as you know, no bottle, jar, box of any product to be ingested can be opened. The purchase of this product now could include a sealed box, a plastic shrink wrap around the inside, and sometimes another little pull tab covering, and all that to get to my once exclusive enemy-the cotton in the bottle.
Well, their intent was to prevent someone from opening your jar of mayo and putting a dead mouse in it, but the end result is that no product can be opened. Period. Not at the store, not in the home, not in the car, not in the anything.

Of course, I exaggerate, these containers can be opened, but not easily, not quickly, and certainly not without a knife, scissors or other weapon of choice. And certainly not easily for someone with arthritis in their hands, which of course in the case of Tylenol, the end result promised is pain relief, not to cause pain.

So listen, I went to the Tylenol website, saw the list of products affected, and pressed print, went to pull all my products off my shelves to check their lot number, and when I came back, page 17 was printing. Seventeen! What a waste of ink and paper. I should have looked at the website or the printer menu page before pressing print, I ASSUMED it was a list, but it was in fact a pretty big color picture of each box and the lists. Lesson learned-look at the number of pages before slamming on the print button.



The good news is, none of my products were affected. I called SMom and her lone bottle is also free of harmful agents. This task however seemed to stress her. It can be confusing with all the numbers for patents, mailing addresses, etc that they print on the labels, but she did find the info. After comparing her lot numbers, and finding her product to be safe, she still wondered if she should throw them out, and so I know new Tylenol will be on her grocery list next week.


This Tylenol project has given me a headache, I think I will go take a few and keep their stock quote from falling through the floor, and harming someone, causing them to need a Rapid Release Tylenol.





note: I was looking online for a dead mouse image, but I was unable to find a drawing, just the gross pictures, so we will do without that image.

2 comments:

20th Century Woman said...

A lot of stuff is hard to open to protect the seller as well as the buyer. They put things like scissors or other small objects in big, stiff cardboard packages with a lot of clear, stiff plastic all over it. That's so it's too big for shop lifters to slip it in their pockets. Those things are impossible to get open without tools.

sally said...

You are so right Anne, there would be a lot more shoplifting if the item was packaged in it's true size. My hand hurts just thinking about trying to cut open one of those plastic shells.