Thursday, November 11, 2010

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Veterans Day is more than a free day off from work/school to shop. It used to be called Armistice Day, in honor of the armistice between the Allies and Germany (later to be named World War I). The armistice took place on the 11th hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year 1918. This Date, November 11th was picked in honor of St.Martin of Tours according to Wikipedia. He was a soldier and then a Bishop. The armistice was only for the Western Front, as war continued in the Russian and Ottoman Empires. After World War II, the name was changed to Veterans Day. The United States and The British Commonwealth still honor Veterans Day, and in France, it is also still celebrated. In Belgium, it is called the Day of Peace in Flanders Field. Many countries observe a two minute time of silence at 11am to honor the over 20 million who lost their lives during what was called The Great War.
Do you remember that we acknowledged the 911 tragedy also with a time of silence? I don't know if many places still do that.
I remember the term Armistice Day, and also that they changed the date for a short time to coincide with a long weekend for workers, but the uproar worked this time, and it was moved back to the official day.
I will say a prayer tonight for my Veterans: My 2 step-fathers, My two brothers, my many Uncles, my Nephews, my Cousin, my friends, and all who serve and have served the country and it's citizens. I can not imagine the courage that it must take to serve in a war situation. Thank you for your strength and commitment.
Matka worked in factories she said during WWII, and then when the soldiers came home, they gave their jobs back to the returning Veterans.

No comments: