Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hello Kitty

Hello Kitty:

No, not that Hello Kitty, that is the one we are donating to our club raffle this weekend, Say "Hello Kitty" to this one: Yes, she is new to us, her name is Boo Boo Marie (she came with Boo, but I need a few syllables to call a pet, Like Lassie, not Lass, how can you stretch out just plain one syllable names when you are calling a little pet?).
Isn't she cute? Her online picture from the SPCA site had her looking really blue,


she very rarely looks blue-a certain light, just a hint, but mostly not.

So listen, here is her story. I was in a pet store, buying bird seed for SMe and SMom, never looked in the off-site SPCA adoption pens, except that day, inside was this little animal, looking like all eyes, and so sad. I bought my supplies, and kept walking around back to her. When I got home, I told SHusband that I came this close [ ] to calling him about this cat that was up adoption, he immediately said that he wished I would have. We both must have been feeling the ache of no pet since we lost our Cheesie Marie. Didn't think we would ever get another one because it hurt so much to lose her, but I guess, we are what we are eh? I went online, showed him the picture, and that was it. Heart strings were pulled by us through to her on the screen and back. Next day, they reviewed our online lengthy (but really, that is necessary to help get a good placement) adoption application and got approved!! Off we went before the other couple that applied made their phone call to check on the status, and tried to get her before us-the legal new family! I didn't even pour my newly perked, excuse me, showing my age, newly "brewed-dripped out" coffee into a travel mug, just grabbed the ceramic mug with "I Love you MOM" stenciled in gold, gift from SDaughter and off I went. Side note: I had that mug for about 10 years, but did not want to use it because I did not want to break such a special mug-but heck, when I am dead, she will get it back anyway, so I don't want her to think her gift was not appreciated, so I use it daily now!
Back to the original post, thanks for being patient. Because the cat was 6 years old, the adoption fee was waived, but really, what a bargain, spayed, micro chipped, up to date on all shots, litter trained, and adorable. Of course, we needed to purchase the CAT STUFF, but that is what was needed. Poor Kitty meowed all the way home, I talked to her so she would become familiar with my voice, and I told her about everyone she would be living with now. I kinda broke the news that were were doggie-sitting for our SDoggie friend, and that he was a really nice guy, but a tad curious.

We lugged in all her stuff-I thought I would die carrying in that new-fangeled litter that is great for the environment, but bad for the human needing to carry the bag, esp one with an old, bad back! I paid for that all night, but it is what it is. I used SHusbands wheelchair lift instead of the stairs, so that worked out OK for part of the delivery.
So then, when all supplies were inside, I took SNewCat from the transport box and gently held her and introduced her to SVisitingDog, he came over to smell her, and she reared up like a Halloween Cat and made herself look twice her size and hissed! She soon figured out that she was a tad aggressive, he is only curious, so all is well-relatively well actually, until the first time we fed her "wet" food-it seems that is something that SDog thought for sure he should have too. He got really agitated, no doggie treat or toy helped, no soothing talk, no head rubbing, and we ended up putting him outside to calm down, good thing he loves the outdoors. So, now we learned how to go around this problem while he is still here, her feeding time is when he is out in the morning. No tempting him unfairly, she eats without him growling at her, No problems.
Well, no problem, except for the fact that she was missing for 5 hours yesterday! It was thought that she slipped out the front door, so we rode around, walked around, sent her picture via e-mail to neighbors, prayed, swore , etc, etc. Finally we gave up looking in every nook and cranny and just wondered what we should do next. SSon had walked around all the buildings on our property twice, he was really stressed with us. She had a reflective leash with her new name and address on a tag, and also a tag with her microchip number and contact number-all updated with our info-but that all needs someone to FIND HER FIRST. It was only 36 degrees here yesterday-in the sun I might add, so I was really worried about her, she had never been outside here, so had not been able to "lay a scent trail" back here, in case she ever snuck out, and oh by the way, we live in the country, woods all over, animals all over that could be a threat to her. I was really upset. We were all really upset. Then SGrandson, who was here for the weekend went onto our bed to watch some TV, and guess what, she was under the covers of our made bed! How the heck did she get there? We were so happy to see her, but really amazed at her hiding spot.

Today, I had some places to drive to in the morning, got home, happened to look at our bed, and what did I see?
Do you see?



How about now? That little lump above the green pillow?

Yep, after SH made the bed, she went undercover-in every aspect of that term. Now we know that yesterday's hiding was not a fluke, and this will be SOP for her rest time.
And here is a picture of where she sleeps when not prowling, from the first night onward:
And I wish you could hear her purr, at times, it is louder than the soft music that we have playing when we first go to bed.

So, all is content here, new and visiting members of the family. Oh wait, did I tell you she jumped onto the covered birdcage in the middle of the first night? Since they were all covered and sleeping, I think she was just exploring, rather than hunting, but try explaining that to 4 parakeets, lots of loud chirping for a bit. And then, after my heart stopped racing as it does when you jump out of bed expecting to see God only knows what, we all went back to sleep.

And now as we all get used to our new and changed environment, and sleeping happens, most times all night. Good night SReaders, thanks for stopping by our little animal kingdom.

No comments: