Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Blue Moon, you saw me....


standing alone, without a song in my heart, without a love of my own. "etc.


Do you know that song? Written way back in 1934 by Rodgers and Hart, recorded by Louis Armstrong and Elvis the pelvis. That song always pops into my head as soon as someone mentions a BLUE MOON.

The phrase "Once in a Blue Moon" is used when people want to infer that something rarely happens.


It is said that tomorrow, 12.31.09 we will be able to see a blue moon, BUT, the moon will not be blue, the phrase just means that we will have our second full moon in a month. And the next one will not appear in December until 2028 according to those that figure these things out. The title Blue Moon was given to this occurrence by mistake, but it has stuck.


Sometimes, there has been the appearance of a blue color to the moon because of the particles in the air from forest fires or even the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883 according to Wikipedia.

The particles in the air scatter the long waves of the color spectrum which are the red colors, and since the light from the sun contains all the colors of the rainbow, when these particles interfere with the long wavelength light, the short wavelength is what is seen by our eyes. SHusband was just telling me that this is also why the sky and water in a lake, etc also appear blue to us, particles in the air or water scatter the long wavelengths, and we can only see the short wavelengths-which are blue. Isn't he the smartest guy around?

And that is why I love the last verse of the song:


"Blue moon, now I am no longer alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own."

No comments: