Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ofenschlupfer

So, my SH had a wonderful mother who cooked many traditional German receipes, and then his equally wonderful sister carried on the tradition and made all of his favorites. He mentioned yesterday that he really liked Ofenschlupfer, which is a bread and apple pudding. He just happened to have a German cookbook "Original Schwabisch, Swabian Food & People", and the receipe was in there! SEE?

The panic set in as soon as I read the list of ingredients, it had THAT phrase in it "EGGS, SEPARATED". I do not do that, well, I have tried, but it is barf city for me, I tried the little seperator thingy that stores sell, but using all methods you need to LOOK at the egg! That ain't happen' with me. I had a childhood trauma, (well not a trauma, just a disgusting thing happen with eggs, so I have convinced myself that I never can look at an egg without heaving-ho). I have perfected the unfocused glance when using eggs, and quickly cover them up after cracked-hey, a girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do!
So anyway, I needed to change this receipe. I have another receipe that I use at Christmas Brunches, so I decided to kinda adapt this, and hope for the best.
Here is what I did:

OFENSCHLUPFER-SALLY’S VERSION


Preheat oven to 350deg.
4-5 medium Yellow Delicious Apples-peeled and sliced thinly

3 tbs. Splenda brown sugar blend

3 tbsp. Water



4 stale egg flavored sandwich rolls-broken into 1 inch pieces

½ cup milk (skim)



6 eggs-slightly beaten

21/2 cups of milk (skim)

2 tbsp. Splenda-white

2 oz. Smart Balance butter spread-melted

½ tsp. Cinnamon

1 tsp. grated orange peel (lemon or dried ok)

1/4 cup raisins

1 tsp. Vanilla

6 small pats of Smart Balance butter spread to put on top
sprayed 9x9 pan-glass or ceramic

Heat heavy saute pan-add first three ingredients-cook until apples softened but not too soft-approx 10 mins.
Let torn egg-rolls soak in ½ cup milk. (If not stale, slice, open, and put in 350 deg. Oven for 10 mins).
Mix eggs and 2 ½ cup milk till smooth, add remaining ingredients except pats of margarine, stir to mix.

Place ½ of bread into pan, then ½ of apples, repeat, then pour egg mixture over top of all. Place margarine pats on top. Bake until brown on top-approx 35-45 mins. Serve warm, Plain or with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
*******************************

This is what it looked like just before going into the oven. Five minutes after it went in, I thought that I better add some more milk-I added 2cups, pouring over all and continued baking. Did you notice I have it in a metal pan? Well, I started in a 9x13 ceramic dish, but soon realized that there were not enough ingredients to fill it so quickly-without thinking grabbed a metal dish. Which of course meant that after baking and setting for a few minutes, I needed to remove it and put into a
pyrex dish to store leftovers.
Here is what it looked like-ready to serve:


And guess what? SH said it tasted superb! He even suggested that I make it for his family the next time we get together! Now isin't that just the best? I met my goal of making something that he requested, and that reminded him of his Mom.
SS and I of course will eat anything that is even remotely in the dessert family, so we liked it, but SGS passed on it-can't please everyone.
If you make it, please let me know how it turned out.

No comments: